Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A stress-free morning at last!

Good morning blog readers! As all of you know, I have an adorable little kitten named Linus. Linus is cute, friendly, playful, cuddly, and just all around awesome. Yes, he is everything a pet owner could ask for, except for one little thing... He likes to run out the door every time you open it. Since we're in an apartment building and he can't really get outside, it shouldn't be too big of a deal, BUT since my cat Maddy ran away in October (and never came back), I'm a little paranoid. We got him a collar in case he ever does actually get out, and we got the microchip put in him when we first got him.

Ok anyway, back to the point. The most annoying thing EVER is when I am trying to leave in the morning and he runs out the door. When Bryan leaves, I can come get Linus out of the way so he can leave peacefully. When I leave nobody is there to help and quite honestly it can become very stressful. I started throwing a toy to get him away from the door which worked for a while. The only thing is, you have to really slam our front door to close it, and sometimes he would come running back towards the door as I was closing it. The door is so heavy that it would seriously injure him if he ever got stuck in the door while I was slamming it. Needless to say that made me nervous every morning. We eventually tried shaking a tin can with coins in it to scare him away from the door. That didn't work at all because it just made him wild and he would run out the door and all the way down the stairs. It was getting to the point where I was so stressed about leaving in the morning, that I would think about it before I went to bed, and then would be stressed all morning about it.

I talked to everyone at work yesterday and Jessica suggested feeding him right before I leave so that he's too busy eating to want to run out the door. Why I never thought of this, I have no idea.

I went to sleep excited at the idea of possibly leaving the house like a normal person... Not having to make loud noises or chase a 14 week old kitten down 3 flights of stairs (I cant imagine what the neighbors think).

I told Bryan PLEASE do not feed him when you get up. He did. He quickly remembered though and put his food back in the bag.

Linus was exceptionally calm this morning which made me nervous... Every cat owner knows that mornings are when cats like to play and be crazy.

I got ready as usual, and then literally the last thing I did before I left was feed him. He came in and started eating, and I walked quickly but quietly to the front door. I already had my keys in my pocket so he couldn't hear me taking them off of the hook by the front door. I opened the door and glanced behind me to see if he was running towards the door like normal. Nothing. I closed the door behind me, locked it, and was on my way!

It was literally the least stressful morning I've had since we got Linus. I just hope he doesn't wise up haha.

1 comment:

  1. He was rather calm this morning. In fact, when I was brushing my teeth, he normally would have been on the bathroom counter watching the water and then trying to lick it and whatnot, but today he noticed his orange toy laying in the hallway and went crazy pouncing on it and playing with it under the door. What an awesome cat.

    ReplyDelete